The Houston Saengerbund, founded in 1883, is the oldest musical association in the
city. As a 501(c)3 organization our mission includes the cultivation and furtherance of
German song and music, as well as the preservation of the German language.
To further these ends, the Houston Saengerbund German Language Scholarship
Competition provides scholarship funding for eligible Texas high school students.
Applicants must be all of the following:
- US Citizen or permanent legal resident
- Non-native German speaker
- Resident of Texas
- Currently enrolled in 2nd or 3rd year of German language class and are between the ages of 15 and 17 for the duration of the program
- In the application process for summer German language study in Germany with
AATG High School Summer Study Program [https://www.aatg.org/summer-study]
The competition is virtual.
- Provide proof of application to the German Language Summer Study Program organized by AATG by December 15, 2023 (you do not have to pay the $150 AATG application fee at time of submission – the fee will be paid by the Scholarship Program once the scholarship has been awarded)
- Provide a written introductory paragraph in German between 200-250 words,
regarding your personal interest in the German language and/or why the summer
study program is your goal
- Provide proof of current enrollment in a 2nd or 3rd year German language course by the application deadline (December 15, 2023) in the form of a school
transcript displaying courses completed and grades
- Submit this completed model release and hand sign it (no electronic signature)
- Fully complete and submit electronically your application (including all the above
mentioned required documentation) in one email to:
email@example.com by the application deadline
All scholarship winners will submit a follow-up video of themselves explaining conversationally and unscripted in German in three minutes how the summer study in Germany has been of benefit to them. The deadline to submit the video is three weeks after the conclusion of the AATG Summer Study trip.